Last Updated on April 27, 2023 by Tabraiz
Skilled independent visa subclass 189 is a permanent visa that allows a person to reside or work permanently in Australia without sponsorship. The prime factor of this visa is the skills of visa holders. The person applying for this visa has to pass an IELTS test. However, a citizen of New Zealand can apply for a 189 visa without passing a point-based test.
The SkillSelect system will assess the expression of interest (EOI) and provide rank against other individuals through a point-based scoring system. The points will be on the aspects like age, education, work experience, English competency, and skills.
An applicant can include his family members and other dependents in his application. Here, “family” includes spouses, dependent children, and relatives. A visa holder can sponsor relatives, enrol himself in medicare, apply for citizenship, and travel in and out of the country for five years after getting this visa.
A 189 visa permits a person who is a successful applicant to-
- Permanently reside and work in Australia
- Apply for Australian citizenship
- To access Australia’s medicare scheme
- Pursue primary and higher education
- Sponsor his family and dependents for permanent residence.
An Immigration agent in Adelaide is a professional who will assist a person with filing an application for a visa and reviewing the 189 visa checklist. Migration agencies have several qualified and experienced migration agents in Adelaide.
A person is eligible for a skilled independent visa subclass 189 if he fulfils the following requirements-
- He should be of age 18 to 44 years.
- He should have met character and health requirements.
- His occupation is on the list of 189 visa occupations.
- He has passed the skill assessment with a minimum of 65% marks.
- He has submitted an EOI and has scored six or more in IELTS(International English Langauge Testing System).
- He has disclosed in the application if there is any medical ailment/ condition in which he needs local community/government support.
189 visa checklist of documents required are as follows-
- A copy of the passport of the applicant showing your details
- An identity card
- Submit form 80 with a character document
- A statement proving proficiency in the English language
- Expression of interest in point-based test
- Skill assessment document
- Documents of name change (if applicable)
- Form 956 and 956a
- Residence document, income document in case of New Zealand citizens
- Identity and character documents, marriage certificate, etc., for the Spouse
- Identity card, birth certificate, proof of dependency (If the child is above 18 years), etc., in case of a dependent child
An applicant should submit all the above documents and any other documents required.
Streams of Visa 189
There are two streams of skills independent visa subclass 189. These are-
- Point-tested stream – A person doesn’t need a sponsor in this stream. He will receive an invitation if he passes the threshold points. For this stream, a person needs a minimum of 65 points.
- New Zealand stream – In the New Zealand stream, a person must have citizenship of New Zealand and live there for five years. He has held a special 444 visa. He has earned as much as the income threshold.
189 Visa Application Process
An applicant has to follow the following steps to apply for a 189 visa–
- Expression of interest– A person has to submit an EOI if he is applying for the visa under the point-tested stream.
- Pass with the points required – For a New Zealand citizen, the requirement of passing the test is not applicable. But for other applicants filling in information for an EOI, an automatic calculation starts based on their qualifications and skills. The point should be at least 65 or more. When the points reach the limit of 65, he will receive an invitation for the visa.
- Payment of visa charges – After receiving the invitation for a visa and before applying, he has to pay visa charges.
- Apply now– after the invitation, apply for the visa via an ImmiAccount. He must log in to his skillSelect account and click “apply now”.
- Receive the visa – After completing all the application procedures, wait for the processing time. If everything is correct, the Australian embassy will issue visa 189.
To know more about the skilled independent visa subclass 189 and 189 visa checklist in Australia, a person can contact a migration agent Adelaide. An immigration agent Adalaide is a professional and registered agent who is an expert. He will guide a person in all the matters relating to the application for a visa, expression of interest, self-assessment test, points to pass the test, and the documents required.
For a person holding New Zealand citizenship, there is no need to pass the self-assessment or skill test and an expression of interest. He can apply directly by submitting the documents and paying the applicable fees.